Skip to main content

We were very excited a few weeks ago when Simplicity brought out a couple of ‘Bridgerton’ inspired dressmaking patterns. These two patterns were definitely going to be made up and displayed in our shop window. With a new series of Bridgerton, based on the fabulous series of books by Julia Quinn, starting to air on Netflix this month, what better time than now to get it ready. Our aim has been to create a window display that is eye catching and brings a smile to your face as you visit or walk past our shop on New Street. I think we all could do with some cheer at the moment!

Regency costumes
Bridgerton brought a bright, sassy and slightly risqué edge to the world of Regency costume drama. Like many watching the series, we just love the colour and vibrancy the series has brought to its costumes.

The Waistcoat, Simplicity 9457

The pattern is available in two size combinations: AA (sizes 34-42) and BB (sizes 44-52)

I chose to make the waistcoat in View A in a size 40. I  used a polyester, viscose and lurex brocade for the front and a contrasting royal blue satin for the waistcoat back.

This was a really nice waistcoat pattern and went together really well. It does state it’s easy to sew, but I must say the welt pocket instructions were not very clear. If you’re new to sewing I’d either make a false welt (no functioning pocket, I’m afraid) or find a YouTube video that might make it clearer to make with the pocket bag.

As you can see from the photo we were very kindly lent a rather fetching striped shirt to add a flourishing finish to the outfit, (many thanks to Peter for his un-worn Italian purchase). 

The Dress, Simplicity 9434

The pattern for the Regency style dress is available in two size combinations: AA (sizes 10-18) and and BB (sizes 20-28).

I made up the dress in a size 14, choosing View C. The only tweak I made was the addition of the frill around the neckline. I chose a vibrant polycotton daisy print for the skirt, sleeves and my addition of the neck frill. A yellow ditsy daisy print for the bodice added some contrast to the larger daisy print. I think the choice of fabric has given our Bridgerton dress a real 1970s vibe. The pattern did make up very nicely although anyone with a fuller bust would have to make up a toile with a bust adjustment

You may notice that I used some of the silver brocade from the waistcoat to make the tie and daisy motif on the dress. Well, there was spare fabric and it ties the two outfits together.